Friday, March 18, 2016

To my son

My dear son,
Today I'm remembering my life before marriage and motherhood and am thanking God that I was born in the day and age in which I was. A day and age when I could have intelligent discussions with my atheist turned agnostic pathology teacher, discussions about my newly found faith at the time. There were many times I would stay even an hour after class trying to win my teacher to Christ without fear of expulsion or lawsuits. Of course, I was naive then and had no clue what rejection, persecution, intolerance or any of those things meant when it came to my beliefs. All of my friends but one continued being my friends, so I didn't think much of it when my one friend said I was dead to him for being a Christian. I was hurt but didn't quite understand the implications of his statement. 
Unfortunately, my dear son you have not had that privilege. You have been born to a time when if you don't agree with the liberal majority you will be soon labeled a bigot, intolerant, hateful, not worthy of living on this earth; and that is without having done anything to merit such titles. My prayer for you is that God will give you strength through it all, that the love and mercy and grace of Christ may abound in and through you. That you may be salt and light to this hurting and dying world that so desperately needs Christ. My hope is that alongside your papi, even with our many sins and flaws, we may be able to teach you and guide you in the way in which you should go.  

With all my love,
your Mami

No comments: