Sunday, July 23, 2006

Everything is Meaningless!

Before I write my fave proverbs I thought it important to write a little something about what I've been reading in Ecclesiastes.. Truthfuly there is a time for everything and the perfect timing for me to read about Ecclesiastes is precisely now. Not because I feel the way the auhor (presumed to be Solomon) was feeling at the time, but because I feel a tad identified with some of the things he wrote.
The introductory parragraph for the first 6 chapters in the bible I'm reading is the following:
"The Emptiness of the ocupations in life
Summary The average man of the street may ask himself: 'What is life' And his answer may surprise or entertain us. You can ask the same question to the Preacher of Ecclesiastes and his answer may baffle you: 'Meaningless! Meaningless! Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless'(1:2). This answer is not merely a comment of any bohemian nor of the philosopher on the corner, it is a reasoned conclusion of one of the wealthiest, wisest man and with more influence from the Bible: King Solomon, 'Son of King David', (1:1). Looking at life from under the sun, Solomon realizes that all his vast possesions and grand enterprises will not bring the ulterior happiness and satisfaction possible. Just by including God into the ecuation can we really put all the pieces that make up life together inside a significative and complete frame."(a) Amen!!

Reading the first 6 chapters of Ecclesiastes brought back memories of the days I used to ask my college friend Jenny what the meaning of life is, I'd expressively say "This can't be living, this day to day thing". Now don't get me wrong I'm not the wealthiest, nor wisests, nor powerful, nor popular, nor famous person ever, not even close to any of that. But I had started to lead a lifestyle in search of that "Ulterior Happiness and Satisfaction possible" and just like the Preacher I found that everything was meaningless. That every single thing I did would never grant me what I had always wanted and had always looked for ever since I can remember, happiness and purpose. But just like the Preacher found the answer to the question, so did the answer find me. The answer is God.
"Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the whole duty of man.

For God will bring every deed into judgment,
including every hidden thing,
whether it is good or evil." (Ecc 12:13-14)(b)

May God Bless you All!!
in Christ,
Rita M.

(a): Translated from the bible "Tu Andar Diario" (Daily Walk Bible)
(b): Taken from BibleGateway.com (NIV)

No comments: