Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Wisdom, Medicine, Science and God...

As a medical student, I have learned quite a handful of incredible facts about the human body. As a person interested in how the world ticks I have sat numerous of occasions in front of the television watching Discovery Channel, Discovery Home and Health, Animal Planet and other channels of the sort, and I have learned many interesting FACTS about how this world works. One thing that does not cease to amaze me is how people view Science and Theology (if it can be put that way) as opposites.
I had a teacher once ask me 'how can you be a Christian and study a science?' I, very fond of this teacher, tried to explain all the reasons why I believe in God and how it doesn't conflict at all with the career i'm studying. But today after reading some parts of Bertrand Russell's "Why I am not a Christian" I have come to the conclusion that it is incredible that a medical student after knowing how a human body works, after studying carefully every little system, every organ, every vessel, every fluid, and most importantly the brain; would not conclude that for such a wonderful creation to be able to exist, there has to be something, Someone, a Designer of it all.
I have heard many an argument of non-believers in which they state that there is no God, and that we exist just because. My apologies to these fine people, but to live with such a thought, is to have an empty life. Is to deny any knowledge they have acquired throughout their lives.
Be not mistaken, I too lived a life blindfolded from the Truth, but still I wondered could this possibly be life!? If we can imagine that the universe is inside a box, where is the box resting? I fear these to be unanswerable questions to a person who thinks that we're here just because. I've always been afraid of telling such people "then what are you living for?"
You see in my opinion, which is to be respected just as I respect others choices and opinions in life, there has to be a reason for us to go through all of this hassle of a life. To study, to make a career person of yourself, to work, to make money, to raise a family and teach the generation to come to do the exact same thing. I believe the great and Wise Solomon would say to this, as he has said in Ecclesiastes,
"Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. Always be clothed in white, and always anoint your head with oil. Enjoy life with your wife, whom you love, all the days of this meaningless life that God has given you under the sun— all your meaningless days. For this is your lot in life and in your toilsome labor under the sun. Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." (Ecc 9:7-10)

BUT ladies and gents, the good news, to all of those who believe, is that there is a purpose. We're not here just because. Our lives are not composed of the many years spent seeking wisdom and knowledge and making something of ourselves. Life trully starts the day you meet the Lord. For the lucky ones, they've been raised in a family where the Truth lives in abundance inside their hearts. For the late lucky ones, it happens throughout the many years of our lives, whether it be in our 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's-90's.
So fear not dear friends. There is always time, it is never to late. And God is always knocking on everone's door.

May God Bless you All!
Rita

No comments: