Thursday, September 25, 2008

Being a Bad Doctor, Being a Bad Christian

Evangelism Adventure of the Day, Wednesday 24th/08

If there is one tough thing doctors must do is tell their patient the bad news that he/she has cancer (of course the toughest yet is telling family members that their loved one has died). Well today while at the hospital in the pre-labour area, we received a patient who was diagnosed as a possible uterine cancer (we're still waiting for the biopsy results). She had been bleeding the day before and even fainted on her way to the 4th floor of the hospital.
She was placed in one of the beds outside the pre-labour area waiting for the doctors to finish writing some orders and things for the medical record before taking her to the 4th floor, where high risk pregnant women and gynecological case are placed.
I stayed by her bedside because we interns are usually the ones who take patients all around the hospital (and of course for my evangelistic agenda which I try to push when possible ;)) she began to cry and I tried to comfort her but what can you say in situations like these? But then I started thinking about my fear of man when trying to preach the gospel and how it relates to what I started writing in this post.
Imagine if I were too afraid to tell my patients that they have a disease or condition that will most definitely take their life, what kind of doctor would I be if I didn't warn them of their disease and the consequence of it, how would I even offer them the cure? Likewise what kind of a Christian would I be if I didn't warn people of the disease we all carry, called Sin, that will most definitely lead them unto destruction in hell for ever? and If I don't warn them of their disease how can I even offer them the cure, the Gospel of Jesus Christ that would save them from an eternity in Hell separated from God?
I'll tell you what kind of doctor I would be, hence what kind of Christian. A bad one and thus an unloving one. And just as patients have entrusted themselves unto us that we may be good doctors and practice good medicine, so has God entrusted unto us His precious Gospel (1 Thessalonians 2:4, 1 Timothy 1:11, ) that we may be good disciples and practice obedience by fulfilling the Great Commission (Matt 28:18-20). As Paul once said, woe unto me if I preach not the gospel. (1 Cor 9:16)
With that in mind I realized what a great opportunity to evangelize I had, a divine appointment indeed. So when the docs were done with her medical record, she got on the wheel chair and off we went to the elevator and finally to the fourth floor. I took her to her room, she was the only one there, she settled in and I began talking. I asked her if she was a Christian since I had overheard her say she wanted to glorify God in sickness and health (or something along those lines), she said she wasn't a Christian but she had a lot of faith in God, I asked her if she knew what happened after people died she said she knew very well that there was a judgment day and that there are two options either heaven or hell. I took advantage of what she already knew and explained to her that unless we repent and put our faith in Christ like she said we would all end up in hell. I told her that life is short like a vapor, we're alive today but we don't know if tomorrow may come. She agreed with me and then said that her entire family is catholic (I assumed it was her excuse to reject he gospel, it reminded me so much of my first response to the first time I was witnessed to) and I told her that it didn't matter, that my family is catholic too and I was catholic and went to church and yet lived like the world, but that it wasn't until 2 people, sent by the Lord, explained to me that If I didn't repent I would perish by explaining to me what Christ did on the cross or me and for her, that one that cross he bared all of our sins, died and rose again on the third day beating death and the power of sin so that one day people like her and I, sinners, would have a chance to say "wow Lord what a great Savior!" to apologize and repent and put our faith in Him and be saved; that I was truly saved. Her face began to change, her eyes started to well up in tears.
I kept talking, R (name will be disclosed) I said, you don't know if perhaps the Lord willed for you to be here in this hospital with this disease in this room with me so that you may hear his Gospel and be saved. "Please don't wait another day" I pleaded, at this point she started to cry, I kept insisting and told her she didn't need to go to church to be saved, I explained to her that she could pray right there on her bed, and told her that God's word says that those who call upon the name of the Lord would be saved. (Romans 10:13, Joel 2:32, Acts 2:21, )
It was time for me to go back to my area so I finished our conversation with some last words "Think about what I said and don't wait another day", and a gospel of John tract.
Please pray for her, the Lord knows her name and who she is and her heart. Pray that she may be saved.


"For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!"" Romans 10:13-15

2 comments:

Penn Tomassetti said...

"And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard?"
It is so important that you spoke to her, because she cannot call on Him if she doesn't hear about it.

That is really amazing, what a divine appointment. You know, there is always more joy in speaking the good news than when we remain silent. You even included a crucial point in your message which is that Christ rose from the dead and defeated death forever: "that on that cross he bared all of our sins, died and rose again on the third day beating death and the power of sin so that one day people like her and I, sinners, would have a chance to say "wow Lord what a great Savior!"
Amen. What a great Savior!

He will move her to call on Him if she is one of His lost sheep. I am praying for her right now on my lunch break... Oh that God would open her heart like Lydia! God bless.

Moon said...

"there is always more joy in speaking the good news than when we remain silent." This is sooo true there hasn't been one witnessing encounter in which I don't come feeling joyful because someone just received the good news and the thought that that seed that was planted might one day bring fruits of salvation.
Thanks for your prayers and comment!