Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Children Desiring God

The greatest need of the next generations is to know and cherish the infinite value of God.Therefore, we want them to become so saturated with the Word of God that they treasure Jesus alone as the One who saves and satisfies the heart. The goal of our curriculum is to fuel spiritual desire by exalting the greatness and worth of God and His glorious work through Christ.


Is the mission statement of this ministry, Children Desiring God, as we all learned this evening at my church. Two representatives of this ministry Brian Eaton, the Director of the ministry, and Luis Mendez (from the Dominican Republic serving at Bethlehem) came to our church today to inform us all about the importance of influencing the children from birth in such a way that they may come to know and cherish the infinite value of God. To point them in the right direction so they may ultimately be lead to Jesus Christ. They explained that the curriculum of the ministry is a God-centered curriculum saturated with the word of God with the purpose of teaching the children to treasure Jesus as the one who saves and satisfies the heart, and they do that by exalting the greatness and worth of God and His glorious work through Jesus Christ.

One example Brian Eaton gave to us about how people generally teach children was the following: "lets talk about the little boy David who had the courage to take a rock and sling it with all his might at a Giant, so children you too can slay the giants in your lives", "but this is not what we want to do", said Mr. Eaton, "we want to teach the story in the most accurate way possible and teach them that it is about God" (paraphrase) He was explaining that in the story its not about David its about God using David to kill a giant for His name's sake and David did this for God's glory.

It was such an encouraging night for me, for many reasons. First of all it seemed as though I wasn't going to be able to attend church tonight, the crazy stormy weather, the bathroom without water for me to take a bath, no transportation. Thankfully my brother agreed to take me, the bathroom issue was resolved, and the weather it didn't seem too much of a problem. Praise God. Secondly, I work in children ministry at my church and I had been teacher's assistant in a few occasions for Sunday School and I saw the way they did Sunday School and it just didn't seem quite right to me because a lot of it was fun and entertainment and little bible teaching. Well today all those concerns were answered and I'm just so excited to know where this will lead us and how God will transform the way we do children ministry, and consequently these children lives.

One of the things that impacted me was when one of the church members asked at what age it all begins, and Mr. Eaton replied since birth and explained how the curriculum teaches, pastors, teachers and parents how to begin teaching their children since birth about God and gave a few examples how. That was amazing and definitely something to bear in mind for future children and/or spiritual children (for those who are part of the Nursery ministry, like me).

The night was of much blessing to all of us, God is so good and awesome and most definitely deserves all the glory!

2 comments:

Pedro Jiménez said...

Dear Rita.

Tonight I want to thank you for three things.

1. Thank you for posting so soon what you heard about the children ministry tonight at church. I was not able to be there tonight.

2. This post of yours made me realize the responsibility I have with my kids. I want to see how can I learn from you who work with the children ministry, or even better, involve my self to work with the team.

3. Also, thank you for the template you use in your blog. I really like it and made the changes in my own blog to have this template. (Sorry for copying this from you). Anyway, my blog is far behind yours. I still need to learn a lot about blogging, and need the most value asset a blogger may have, TIME to write.

Anyway, you are welcome to visit me anytime at www.pasionpordios.org

In Christ,

Pedro.

Moon said...

Hermano Bendiciones!!
1. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, I'm very glad it was of a blessing to you! Realmente mi pequeño resumen no le hace justicia a todo lo que se hablo el miercoles, pero la idea principal fue ese mission statement que esta bien grande ahi, que los niños aprendan a conocer y atesorar al Señor. Empezando por uno mismo primero que nada y luego enseñarles a ellos mediante la palabra.
Me falto decir que los recursos que se encuentran ahora mismo en ingles los estan traduciendo y posiblemente esten listos para finales de este año o principios del año que viene.
2. "involve my self to work with the team." That would be great! they're always in need of teachers at Sunday School, averiguate en información si necesitan asistentes o profesores.
3. "(Sorry for copying this from you)" hehehe el template es gratis! para que todo el mundo lo use asi que no hay problemas!! :P

God bless ya brother!!
and thanks again!