Saturday, July 04, 2009

Grace Gems: 'Tis a Point I Long To Know

Today's Grace Gems is a beautiful poem by John Newton about certainty, so for those who doubt their salvation here's John Newton's 'Tis A Point I Long To Know; but before you do read it I can tell you that one can know for sure if one is saved or not, "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life." writes John in his letter, 1 John 5:13, after he has written this practically manifesto of what God has done in sending Christ the Son, "offering him up as a sacrifice for sins, and sending forth "the word of life"(1 John 1:1) that is causing this world's darkness to pas away and the true light of the coming age to shine."1

'Tis a point I long to know

(John Newton)

'Tis a point I long to know,
Oft it causes anxious thought;
Do I love the Lord or no?
Am I His--or am I not?

If I love--why am I thus?
Why this dull and lifeless frame?
Hardly, sure, can they be worse,
Who have never heard His name!

Could my heart so hard remain,
Prayer a task and burden prove,
Every trifle give me pain,
If I knew a Savior's love?

When I turn my eyes within,
All is dark, and vain, and wild;
Filled with unbelief and sin,
Can I deem myself a child?

If I pray, or hear, or read,
Sin is mixed with all I do!
You who love the Lord indeed,
Tell me--Is it thus with you?

Yet I mourn my stubborn will,
Find my sin a grief and thrall;
Should I grieve for what I feel,
If I did not love at all?

Could I joy His saints to meet,
Choose the ways I once abhorred,
Find, at times, the promise sweet,
If I did not love the Lord?

Lord, decide the doubtful case!
You who are Your people's sun,
Shine upon Your work of grace,
If it is indeed begun.

Let me love You more and more,
If I love at all, I pray;
If I have not loved before,
Help me to begin today!



1: ESV Study Bible. Introduction to 1 John. Purpose, Ocassion, and Background. Pg.2426

No comments: