Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Of Life and Death: My Accident

Two days ago something happened. I didn't make a fuss about it because I wanted to be nice and protect someone from being scolded, Perhaps I shouldn't have. My family, some friends and I went away this weekend to Constanza, as always, it is our annual trip to feel the chilly weather we can only find in places like that here in our country. We stayed at a different place this year and it seemed so great. There were so many things to be done, among them was riding four-wheelers. My mom detests them, and I remember her always telling me all these tragic stories about people dying in horrific accidents while riding these things. This weekend her feelings about the idea were the same, but I had learned to ride one while in Atlanta so I was fixated with the idea of driving one this time. I was being disobedient, I confess, and I repented afterwards too. You see God puts authorities over us and whether they are Christian or not, as long as we are under their authority and as long it does not compromise us as Christians we must obey and/or submit to them.
While me and my sister's boyfriend, who was supposed to be supervising all of us (my sister, my cousin and I) because he's the expert using these things, were riding the wretched four-wheeler (I was driving it) we passed through an unsteady slightly narrow dirt road the four-wheeler began to behave strangely it would steer to the right on its own, and at one point while we were going really fast it began to steer right and instead of me turning to the left i turned to the right, the four-wheeler jumped the roadside ditch (don't ask me how, it shouldn't have done that even at the speed we were going) it landed on a piece of land that was being cultivated, we were thrown off of the ratty old thing and landed on the ground. I scraped my face, hurt my left hand somewhat badly, and got some nasty bruises on my leg. My sister's boyfriend had some minor cuts on his left hand and left ankle.
"My mother is going to kill me" is all I could think of, all he could think of was what my parents were going to tell him. I assured him not to worry I would take all the blame after all I was driving the thing. I told my parents what had happened in the most calmed voice I could and in the most "no-big-deal" tone I could. I realize now I shouldn't have. I wasted a perfect opportunity to preach the gospel to a boy that does not fear death, my sister's boyfriend, and to myparents.
Not only that but it made me realize that it could've been my sister or my cousin in that four-wheeler, what then? What if something worse had happened? I already know where I'm going but they don't.
Situations like these should make you ask yourself, if I were to die today where would I go? There is nothing more important than your eternal salvation. And i've got news for you, God's word says: "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
And also: "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." Revelations 21:8
Have you ever lied? stolen something regardless of its value? Lusted after someone? Disobeyed your parents? coveted? used God's name in vain/as a cuss word. Then by God's standard you are guilty of breaking His law, the Ten Commandments. You are guilty. And all who break God's law deserves the righteous punishment of eternity in hell. Like a criminal who has murdered someone or stolen something his/her righteous punishment is time in jail.
But God, infinitely Holy as He is also Loving, He came down to earth as a man, Jesus Christ of Nazareth, and at 33 years of age He died on a Cross to pay the penalty for our sins. He rose from the grave on the third day beating death. He died so that through His blood shed on the cross we might be washed clean of our sins and be forgiven, how are we saved? by recognizing that you have sinned against God, repenting of your sins, asking God in prayer to forgive you for what you have done and then putting your trust in Him. His word says that God will give you a new heart, and a new nature, you will no longer love sin but hate it and you'll desire to live a life that pleases Him and not the world.

"God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil." John 3:16-19

So ask yourselves this question if you were to die tonight/today where would you go? Have YOU been forgiven yet?

No comments: